Why lose weight quickly?
We all want to lose a few kilos quickly sometimes. For example, because there's a wedding, summer or vacation coming up. Or just to feel a little tighter and better in your own skin.
Once you decide to lose weight, you are extra motivated and want to see results as soon as possible. And therefore, you want to lose weight quickly. We totally understand! 😄
How can you lose weight quickly?
1 kilogram of fat equals 7,500 calories. Want to lose 2 kilograms of fat in a week? This means you need to consume 15,000 calories less in a week than your body uses.
On average, women need about 2,000 calories a day to maintain their weight, which equals 14,000 calories per week. So, if you want to lose 2 kilograms per week, you shouldn't consume any calories. Men, on the other hand, need about 2,500 calories a day, which equals 17,500 calories per week. Therefore, they should consume about 350 calories a day (1).
This is really very little and not healthy. It's better to aim for 1 kilogram per week, or follow our tips below!
This is how you can lose weight quickly and healthily
Many studies have shown that losing weight quickly is not the right way in the long run. Almost everyone who does it, returns to their old weight. The well-known yo-yo effect!
However, it is possible, also with lasting results.
Do you want to lose weight quickly? Then follow these five tips.
- Do it for a maximum of 4 weeks at a time. You can lose 4 to 8 kilos per month this way.
- Increase your protein intake to 1.8 grams of protein per kilo of body weight. You want to lose fat quickly, but not muscle. This can easily be done with a scoop of protein powder.
- Eat extra vegetables, take a meal replacement shake with vitamins/minerals or take a daily multivitamin. Losing weight quickly means a large calorie deficit and unfortunately also automatically a deficit of vitamins and minerals.
- Try to sleep more. Losing weight quickly often goes hand in hand with lower energy levels. By sleeping more, you'll feel better and be able to stick to it better.
- Do not go back to your old lifestyle after these 4 weeks. This is because it has caused you to want to lose weight now. Work on a new and healthy lifestyle that makes you feel good.
Especially this last tip is important for lasting results. Below we'll tell you more about adapting your lifestyle!